With COVID-19 causing some changes in how your medical centre operates, you may find that they now offer the option to book a Telehealth appointment.
- A Telehealth appointment is usually when the practitioner will call you and consult over the phone. However, some clinics may also offer video chat services.
- HotDoc has provided our clinics with a platform to both book and facilitate video consults, all by using our HotDoc Online Booking system.
If your clinic accepts Telehealth Video consults, please read below to learn more about how to book and attend a Video appointment.
In this article
How to book a Telehealth Video appointment
- If you have been directed by your clinic's online booking page to make a Telehealth appointment type, you will be asked to choose a time and then verify your contact number and email address:
- After confirming these details, you will see the option to confirm your booking request. Select Yes, book now to send the request to the clinic:
- Once your appointment is confirmed, you will receive an email with some additional information about your video consultation. Please read this in depth so you are prepared for your consult:
How do I join the Video consult?
HotDoc's Telehealth Video solution uses a third party video platform called Whereby to facilitate the video consult.
- Once your appointment has been confirmed, you will be provided the link to the consult in three places:
- Your confirmation email
- The Appointments tab in the Mobile/Web app
- The appointment reminder
Example of the app link
Example of the email link
Example of the appointment reminder link
- We suggest that you "arrive" 10 minutes early to the virtual meeting room and ensure you have the following ready:
- A computer, tablet, or mobile phone charged at least 50% and with a video camera and microphone
- A browser such as Safari, Chrome, or Firefox installed and updated to the latest version
- A stable internet connection
- A quiet and private room to complete the call from
- Somewhere to write down notes from your doctor during the call
- Once you're ready, click on the link in either the email or the app and you will be taken to a virtual "waiting room" which will show you your place in the queue. Select Start consultation to go through some basic setup before the appointment:
- You will be taken to a page where you can choose to either launch the app, or launch the virtual meeting in your device browser if your mobile software supports this option:
- You will then be required to enter your name and hit Continue:
- You will then be asked to grant permission to use your device's camera and microphone. Select Request Permissions and then Allow:
- After this you can select Join meeting and wait for your Doctor to join as well:
See How to join a Meeting you were invited to to learn more.
What are the minimum system requirements?
As the video platform is hosted by Whereby, you can refer to Whereby's support page for the minimum system requirements needed to join a video consult booked via HotDoc:
If you do not have a computer or mobile device that meets the requirements above, we suggest choosing Phone as your contact option rather than Video. Your Doctor can still contact you for a Telephone consult on the phone number you elect during the booking process.